Nifty 50 News
- Trade setup: Nifty vulnerable at higher levels; 12,000 stiff hurdle17-11-2019 10:15The 11,930 & 11,995 levels will act as resistance. Supports may come in at 11,850 & 11,800.
- D-Street week ahead: Nifty faces stiff resistance; auto, FMCG topping out; metals, PSU banks, realty look steady16-11-2019 11:25In the event of any corrective move, the trading range for the week is likely to remain wider.
- Sensex gains 70 pts, Nifty ends near 11,900; Airtel rallies 8%15-11-2019 12:42Market benchmark Sensex ended 70.21 points higher on Friday, led by gains in Bharti Airtel and SBI, amid positive cues from global equities. The 30-share index, which opened on a firm note, witnessed a sell-off at the fag end of the session as investors turned cautious tracking concerns over slowing economic growth. After rallying over 363 points during the day, the 30-share Sensex ended 70.21 points, or 0.17 per cent, higher at 40,356.69. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty rose 23.35 points, or 0.20 per cent, to end at 11,895.45. Bharti Airtel was the top gainer in the Sensex pack, rallying 8.42 per cent.Sensex gains 70 pts, Nifty ends near 11,900; Airtel rallies 8%
- Tech View: Nifty50 forms indecisive candle, bears in no mood to cede ground15-11-2019 11:17NSE Nifty has to hold above 11,850 level to witness an up-move towards 11,950.
- F&O: India VIX drops 3.96%, Nifty trading range shifts to 11,700-12,100 zone15-11-2019 11:09Bank Nifty opened positive and extended the gains towards 31,165 mark.
- Share market update: Nifty Financial Services index up; Edelweiss gains 3%15-11-2019 06:27The Nifty Financial Services index was trading 0.63 per cent up at 14,034.9 around 12:00 pm.
- Share market update: Nifty Pharma index up; Glenmark Pharma jumps 6%15-11-2019 04:39The Nifty Pharma index was trading 0.03 per cent up at 7593.90 around 10:12 am.
- Sensex jumps 150 points, Nifty tops 11,900 on firm global cues15-11-2019 04:16Among major Sensex gainers were Tata Motors that advanced 3.11 per cent to Rs 172.20.
- Sensex jumps 150 points, Nifty regains 11,900; Voda Idea tanks 8%15-11-2019 04:04Sensex climbs 150 points, Nifty reclaims 11,900; Glenmark Pharma surges 6%, Voda Idea tanks 8%.Sensex jumps 150 points, Nifty regains 11,900; Voda Idea tanks 8%
- Trade setup: Nifty may continue to find hurdle in 12,000-12,050 zone14-11-2019 16:28The RSI on the daily chart stood at 61.05 and stayed neutral, not showing any divergence.
Nifty 50 Performance
The Nifty is the flagship benchmark of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), which is a well-diversified index, comprising top 50 companies in terms of free-float market capitalisation that are traded on the bourse. It is supposed to reflect the health of the listed universe of Indian companies, and hence the broader economy, in all market conditions.
Officially called the Nifty50, the index is computed using the free float market capitalisation method, which is essentially the count of shares in active circulation in the market at any given point of time.
The Nifty, just like BSE benchmark Sensex, is today used for benchmarking portfolios and returns of mutual fund schemes and launching index funds.
The Nifty index was launched on April 22, 1996, with a base value of 1,000 counted from November 3, 1995. Live Nifty quotes are available on NSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and numerous other web platforms and TV channels at any point of time.
The Nifty brand and indices are managed by the Mumbai-based India Index Services and Products Limited, IISL in short, which itself is a subsidiary of NSE. IISL has a three-tier governance structure comprising the board of directors, the index policy committee and the index maintenance sub-committee. IISL managed some 67 indices under the Nifty brand as of September 30, 2016.
IISL rebalances the Nifty index semi-annually. The cut-off dates for the semi-annual review of the index are January 31 and July 31 each year. Average data for the six months ending the cut-off date is considered. The exchange notifies any change in the index four weeks before such changes take effect.
There are defined eligibility criteria for selection of Nifty constituent stocks. The liquidity of a stock is measured by the market impact cost, which is essentially the cost involved in transacting a stock. For a stock to qualify for inclusion in the Nifty50, it must have traded at an average impact cost of 0.50 per cent or less for six months and for 90 per cent of observation cases.
Besides, the company must have a listing history of at least six months. However, a newly-listed company, which has just got listed through the IPO route, may become eligible for inclusion in the index, if it fulfils the normal eligibility criteria for a three- month period instead of six months.
Only those stocks which are eligible for trade in the F&O segment of NSE are considered for inclusion as Nifty constituents.
As of September 20, 2017, the Nifty had 35.73 per cent components from the financial services sector, 14 per cent from the energy sector, 11.46 per cent from the information technology sector, 10.64 per cent from the automobile sector and 10.13 per cent from the consumer goods sector. Six of the nine BFSI companies in the Nifty50 were private banks.
The Nifty index also has several variants such as Nifty Junior, Nifty50 USD, Nifty50 Total Returns index and NIFTY50 Dividend Points Index.