Nifty 50 News
- Sensex slips over 100 pts, Nifty tests 10,800; Vodafone Idea surges 15%19-09-2019 04:18Domestic equity benchmark BSE Sensex dropped over 100 points in early session on Thursday, dragged by banking, energy and IT stocks, amid weak global cues. The 30-share BSE Sensex slumped 100 points to 36,470. The broader Nifty50 gave up the 10,800-mark and was hovering around 10,790 levels, down 50 points, or 0.5 per cent.Sensex slips over 100 pts, Nifty tests 10,800; Vodafone Idea surges 15%
- Sensex drops 200 points, Nifty slips below 10,800; YES Bank falls 5%19-09-2019 04:16Fed Chairman Powell took a cautious approach to any further reductions in borrowing costs.
- Trade setup: Any Nifty pullback to remain limited; stay cautious18-09-2019 15:24The RSI stood at 42.57 level on the daily chart and stayed neutral, showing no divergence.
- Tech View: Nifty forms bearish candle, likely to consolidate with negative bias18-09-2019 12:20Some consolidation or a minor weakness is likely in the next one-two sessions.
- Sensex, Nifty end higher ahead of Fed policy outcome18-09-2019 10:40In the 30-pack Sensex, 18 stocks ended in the green and 12 in the red.
- Sensex gains 83 pts ahead of Fed policy outcome; Nifty ends at 10,84918-09-2019 10:24Sensex was up 83 points at 36,563.88, while Nifty was up 23.10 points at 10,849 About 1236 shares have advanced, 1227 shares declined, and 156 shares are unchanged Tata Steel, BPCL, Vedanta, JSW Steel and IOC were among major gainers, while losers were Britannia Industries, Coal India, ONGC, Eicher Motors and Yes Bank.Except pharma, all other sectoral indices ended in the green led by the metal, IT, infra, energy, auto and bankSensex gains 83 pts ahead of Fed policy outcome; Nifty ends at 10,849
- Share market update: Nifty Financial Services index up; Bajaj Finserv gains 2%18-09-2019 07:00The Nifty Financial Services index was trading 0.65 per cent up at 12,189.7 around 12:33 pm.
- Share market update: Nifty Pharma index dips; Glenmark Pharma down 2%18-09-2019 04:38The Nifty Pharma index was trading 0.29 per cent down at 7911 around 10:11 am.
- Sensex climbs 200 points as oil prices cool off, Nifty above 10,85018-09-2019 04:24Domestic equity benchmark BSE Sensex jumped over 200 points in early session on Wednesday, driven by gains in energy and banking stocks, amid positive global cues. The 30-share index was trading 186.94 points, or 0.51 per cent, higher at 36,668.03 at 0930 hours, while the broader Nifty rose 43.15 points, or 0.40 per cent, to 10,860.75.Sensex climbs 200 points as oil prices cool off, Nifty above 10,850
- Sensex jumps 150 points, Nifty above 10,850 ahead of US Fed policy outcome18-09-2019 04:22Fresh signs of a thaw on the US-China trade front also supported the market sentiment.
Nifty 50 Performance
The Nifty is the flagship benchmark of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), which is a well-diversified index, comprising top 50 companies in terms of free-float market capitalisation that are traded on the bourse. It is supposed to reflect the health of the listed universe of Indian companies, and hence the broader economy, in all market conditions.
Officially called the Nifty50, the index is computed using the free float market capitalisation method, which is essentially the count of shares in active circulation in the market at any given point of time.
The Nifty, just like BSE benchmark Sensex, is today used for benchmarking portfolios and returns of mutual fund schemes and launching index funds.
The Nifty index was launched on April 22, 1996, with a base value of 1,000 counted from November 3, 1995. Live Nifty quotes are available on NSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and numerous other web platforms and TV channels at any point of time.
The Nifty brand and indices are managed by the Mumbai-based India Index Services and Products Limited, IISL in short, which itself is a subsidiary of NSE. IISL has a three-tier governance structure comprising the board of directors, the index policy committee and the index maintenance sub-committee. IISL managed some 67 indices under the Nifty brand as of September 30, 2016.
IISL rebalances the Nifty index semi-annually. The cut-off dates for the semi-annual review of the index are January 31 and July 31 each year. Average data for the six months ending the cut-off date is considered. The exchange notifies any change in the index four weeks before such changes take effect.
There are defined eligibility criteria for selection of Nifty constituent stocks. The liquidity of a stock is measured by the market impact cost, which is essentially the cost involved in transacting a stock. For a stock to qualify for inclusion in the Nifty50, it must have traded at an average impact cost of 0.50 per cent or less for six months and for 90 per cent of observation cases.
Besides, the company must have a listing history of at least six months. However, a newly-listed company, which has just got listed through the IPO route, may become eligible for inclusion in the index, if it fulfils the normal eligibility criteria for a three- month period instead of six months.
Only those stocks which are eligible for trade in the F&O segment of NSE are considered for inclusion as Nifty constituents.
As of September 20, 2017, the Nifty had 35.73 per cent components from the financial services sector, 14 per cent from the energy sector, 11.46 per cent from the information technology sector, 10.64 per cent from the automobile sector and 10.13 per cent from the consumer goods sector. Six of the nine BFSI companies in the Nifty50 were private banks.
The Nifty index also has several variants such as Nifty Junior, Nifty50 USD, Nifty50 Total Returns index and NIFTY50 Dividend Points Index.