Nifty 50 News
- Trade setup: Nifty may continue rally, but don’t let your guard down20-05-2019 15:22The 11,860 and 11,935 levels are likely to act as immediate resistance points for NSE Nifty.
- Tech View: Nifty forms bullish candle, may face profit taking20-05-2019 12:22Yhe momentum could continue as long as Nifty50 holds above the previous day’s low.
- Sensex, Nifty scale record closing highs on BJP’s likely victory20-05-2019 10:50RIL and HDFC duo combined added some 550 points to the overall 1,400-point rise in Sensex.
- Sensex logs biggest single-day gain since 2013, Nifty hits fresh record high20-05-2019 10:25Sensex rallies 1,422 pts to hit record high; Nifty at fresh peak of 11,828; Adani stocks surge up to 29%Sensex logs biggest single-day gain since 2013, Nifty hits fresh record high
- Share market update: Nifty Financial Services index rises; Indiabulls Ventures surges 13%20-05-2019 08:37The Nifty Financial Services index was trading 4.40 per cent up at 13,196.95 around 02:12 pm.
- Sensex tops 39,000 level on exit poll euphoria; Nifty reclaims 11,75020-05-2019 08:26Sensex reclaims 39,000, up 1,100 points on exit poll euphoria; Nifty above 11,700.Sensex tops 39,000 level on exit poll euphoria; Nifty reclaims 11,750
- Share market update: Nifty Bank index hits record high; SBI, BoB among top gainers20-05-2019 05:25The Nifty Bank index was trading 2.95 per cent up at 30,317.75 around 10:59 am.
- Share market update: Nifty Pharma index up; Piramal Enterprises surges 6%20-05-2019 04:40The Nifty Pharma index was trading 0.87 per cent up at 8522.30 around 10:14 am.
- Sensex gains 900 points as exit polls project NDA win; Nifty nears 11,70020-05-2019 04:06Sensex vaults 900 pts as exit polls project NDA win; Nifty nears 11,700; Nifty Bank up 3%.Sensex gains 900 points as exit polls project NDA win; Nifty nears 11,700
- Nifty likely to touch new all-time high this week20-05-2019 02:27We advise traders to stick to long options to play out the event, says Sharma.
Nifty 50 Performance
The Nifty is the flagship benchmark of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), which is a well-diversified index, comprising top 50 companies in terms of free-float market capitalisation that are traded on the bourse. It is supposed to reflect the health of the listed universe of Indian companies, and hence the broader economy, in all market conditions.
Officially called the Nifty50, the index is computed using the free float market capitalisation method, which is essentially the count of shares in active circulation in the market at any given point of time.
The Nifty, just like BSE benchmark Sensex, is today used for benchmarking portfolios and returns of mutual fund schemes and launching index funds.
The Nifty index was launched on April 22, 1996, with a base value of 1,000 counted from November 3, 1995. Live Nifty quotes are available on NSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and numerous other web platforms and TV channels at any point of time.
The Nifty brand and indices are managed by the Mumbai-based India Index Services and Products Limited, IISL in short, which itself is a subsidiary of NSE. IISL has a three-tier governance structure comprising the board of directors, the index policy committee and the index maintenance sub-committee. IISL managed some 67 indices under the Nifty brand as of September 30, 2016.
IISL rebalances the Nifty index semi-annually. The cut-off dates for the semi-annual review of the index are January 31 and July 31 each year. Average data for the six months ending the cut-off date is considered. The exchange notifies any change in the index four weeks before such changes take effect.
There are defined eligibility criteria for selection of Nifty constituent stocks. The liquidity of a stock is measured by the market impact cost, which is essentially the cost involved in transacting a stock. For a stock to qualify for inclusion in the Nifty50, it must have traded at an average impact cost of 0.50 per cent or less for six months and for 90 per cent of observation cases.
Besides, the company must have a listing history of at least six months. However, a newly-listed company, which has just got listed through the IPO route, may become eligible for inclusion in the index, if it fulfils the normal eligibility criteria for a three- month period instead of six months.
Only those stocks which are eligible for trade in the F&O segment of NSE are considered for inclusion as Nifty constituents.
As of September 20, 2017, the Nifty had 35.73 per cent components from the financial services sector, 14 per cent from the energy sector, 11.46 per cent from the information technology sector, 10.64 per cent from the automobile sector and 10.13 per cent from the consumer goods sector. Six of the nine BFSI companies in the Nifty50 were private banks.
The Nifty index also has several variants such as Nifty Junior, Nifty50 USD, Nifty50 Total Returns index and NIFTY50 Dividend Points Index.