Nifty 50 News
- Sensex sheds over 50 pts in choppy trade, Nifty nears 11,20030-09-2020 04:32Indian shares were mostly muted on Wednesday as a weakness in banking shares was offset by gains in heavyweight Reliance Industries after an investment deal by General Atlantic in the conglomerate's retail arm. The broader NSE Nifty 50 index was flat at 11,225 and the S&P BSE Sensex was mostly unchanged at 37,953.61.Sensex sheds over 50 pts in choppy trade, Nifty nears 11,200
- Shares of Jubilant Foodworks Ltd. rises as Nifty drops30-09-2020 04:30On the technical charts, the 200-day moving average of the stock stood at Rs 1758.02.
- SGX Nifty up 30 points; here's what changed for market while you were sleeping30-09-2020 02:41Nifty futures on the Singapore Exchange traded 27.50 points, or 0.24 per cent higher at 11,271, in signs that Dalal Street was headed for a positive start on Wednesday.
- Tech View: Nifty50 needs to take out 11,300 hurdle to resume rally29-09-2020 12:32A failure to break above the 11,300 level can trigger profit booking and drag Nifty50 lower towards 11,180 and 11,100 levels, being the 23.6 per cent and 38.2 per cent Fibonacci retracement levels respectively, said Aditya Agarwala of YES Securities.
- F&O: Nifty bounce back takes pause; cooling VIX only solace29-09-2020 11:59Nifty has to hold above 11,111 level to see a further up move towards 11,333 and then 11 450 levels, while on the downside, major supports are seen at 11,000 and then 10,880 levels.
- Sensex, Nifty take a breather after 2-day rally, end flat29-09-2020 11:07Worries about a stalling economic recovery and surging Covid-19 cases have kept sentiment subdued. Weakness in global shares too affected the mood on Dalal Street.
- Sensex snaps 2-day winning run, ends 8 points lower; Nifty at 11,22229-09-2020 10:45Sensex takes a breather, ends 8 pts lower; Nifty ends flat at 11,222; Voda Idea, BHEL plunge 5% each.Sensex snaps 2-day winning run, ends 8 points lower; Nifty at 11,222
- BuyStock market update: Nifty IT index up 1%; Mindtree jumps 5%29-09-2020 08:14The index was trading 1.05 per cent up at 19990.1.
- Avenue Supermarts Ltd. shares down 0.86% as Nifty falls29-09-2020 07:42The stock quoted a 52-week high price of Rs 2559.0 and low of Rs 1701.0.
- Share price of LIC Housing Finance Ltd. falls as Nifty weakens29-09-2020 07:11A total of 45,475 shares changed hands on the counter till 12:41PM (IST).
Nifty 50 Performance
The Nifty is the flagship benchmark of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), which is a well-diversified index, comprising top 50 companies in terms of free-float market capitalisation that are traded on the bourse. It is supposed to reflect the health of the listed universe of Indian companies, and hence the broader economy, in all market conditions.
Officially called the Nifty50, the index is computed using the free float market capitalisation method, which is essentially the count of shares in active circulation in the market at any given point of time.
The Nifty, just like BSE benchmark Sensex, is today used for benchmarking portfolios and returns of mutual fund schemes and launching index funds.
The Nifty index was launched on April 22, 1996, with a base value of 1,000 counted from November 3, 1995. Live Nifty quotes are available on NSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and numerous other web platforms and TV channels at any point of time.
The Nifty brand and indices are managed by the Mumbai-based India Index Services and Products Limited, IISL in short, which itself is a subsidiary of NSE. IISL has a three-tier governance structure comprising the board of directors, the index policy committee and the index maintenance sub-committee. IISL managed some 67 indices under the Nifty brand as of September 30, 2016.
IISL rebalances the Nifty index semi-annually. The cut-off dates for the semi-annual review of the index are January 31 and July 31 each year. Average data for the six months ending the cut-off date is considered. The exchange notifies any change in the index four weeks before such changes take effect.
There are defined eligibility criteria for selection of Nifty constituent stocks. The liquidity of a stock is measured by the market impact cost, which is essentially the cost involved in transacting a stock. For a stock to qualify for inclusion in the Nifty50, it must have traded at an average impact cost of 0.50 per cent or less for six months and for 90 per cent of observation cases.
Besides, the company must have a listing history of at least six months. However, a newly-listed company, which has just got listed through the IPO route, may become eligible for inclusion in the index, if it fulfils the normal eligibility criteria for a three- month period instead of six months.
Only those stocks which are eligible for trade in the F&O segment of NSE are considered for inclusion as Nifty constituents.
As of September 20, 2017, the Nifty had 35.73 per cent components from the financial services sector, 14 per cent from the energy sector, 11.46 per cent from the information technology sector, 10.64 per cent from the automobile sector and 10.13 per cent from the consumer goods sector. Six of the nine BFSI companies in the Nifty50 were private banks.
The Nifty index also has several variants such as Nifty Junior, Nifty50 USD, Nifty50 Total Returns index and NIFTY50 Dividend Points Index.