Nifty 50 News
- Trade Setup: 14,000 inflection point for Nifty; stick to defensive stocks27-01-2021 13:07Thursday's session is likely to see the levels of 14,000 and 14,090 act as resistance points, while support will come in at 13,900 and 13,865 levels.
- After 5% fall in 4 days, will Nifty stage a sharp rebound before Budget?27-01-2021 12:53“This decline of Nifty of around 800 points from the top ought to be seen as a healthy correction and an interim consolidation phase before the markets begin the next leg of movement,” said Pankaj Pandey, head of research at ICICI Direct.
- Tech View: Nifty forms Bearish Belt Hold, tests the crucial 34-day EMA27-01-2021 12:33Analysts said the index tested its 34-day exponential moving average (EMA) during the session and hit an intraday low of 13,929. This level can now prove to be a crucial support for Nifty, followed by the 13,765 mark, they said.
- Sensex crashes 938 pts; Nifty ends below 14K ahead of F&O expiry; IndusInd Bank, Titan tank 4% each27-01-2021 10:26CLOSING BELL: RIL, private lenders send Sensex tumbling 938 pts; Nifty ends below 14K ahead of F&O expiry; IndusInd Bank, Titan tank 4% eachSensex crashes 938 pts; Nifty ends below 14K ahead of F&O expiry; IndusInd Bank, Titan tank 4% each
- Sensex plunges over 1000 points, Nifty breaks below 14,000 mark27-01-2021 09:24The BSE Sensex and the Nifty lost further ground in the afternoon trade as selling intensified after European markets mostly opened lower. Traders say profit booking also emerged ahead of the presentation of Union Budget on February 1. The sell-off in the market was led by banks and Reliance Industries. As of 2:17 pm, the Sensex was down 985 points or 2.04% to trade at 47,379.31 while the 50-share Nifty was below the psychological level of 14,000, down 276 points or 1.96%.Sensex plunges over 1000 points, Nifty breaks below 14,000 mark
- Shriram Transport Finance Company Ltd. shares down 4.36% as Nifty drops27-01-2021 08:47A total of 103,601 shares changed hands on the counter till 02:17PM (IST).
- Share price of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. falls as Nifty weakens27-01-2021 08:21A total of 4,567,158 shares changed hands on the counter till 01:50PM (IST).
- Shares of REC Ltd. fall as Nifty drops27-01-2021 08:15On the technical charts, the 200-day moving average of the stock stood at Rs 109.77.
- LIC Housing Finance Ltd. shares down 3.61% as Nifty falls27-01-2021 08:10The stock quoted a 52-week high price of Rs 464.9 and low of Rs 186.0.
- Bajaj Holdings & Investment Ltd. shares down 1.63% as Nifty drops27-01-2021 07:59A total of 602 shares changed hands on the counter till 01:29PM (IST).
Nifty 50 Performance
The Nifty is the flagship benchmark of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), which is a well-diversified index, comprising top 50 companies in terms of free-float market capitalisation that are traded on the bourse. It is supposed to reflect the health of the listed universe of Indian companies, and hence the broader economy, in all market conditions.
Officially called the Nifty50, the index is computed using the free float market capitalisation method, which is essentially the count of shares in active circulation in the market at any given point of time.
The Nifty, just like BSE benchmark Sensex, is today used for benchmarking portfolios and returns of mutual fund schemes and launching index funds.
The Nifty index was launched on April 22, 1996, with a base value of 1,000 counted from November 3, 1995. Live Nifty quotes are available on NSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and numerous other web platforms and TV channels at any point of time.
The Nifty brand and indices are managed by the Mumbai-based India Index Services and Products Limited, IISL in short, which itself is a subsidiary of NSE. IISL has a three-tier governance structure comprising the board of directors, the index policy committee and the index maintenance sub-committee. IISL managed some 67 indices under the Nifty brand as of September 30, 2016.
IISL rebalances the Nifty index semi-annually. The cut-off dates for the semi-annual review of the index are January 31 and July 31 each year. Average data for the six months ending the cut-off date is considered. The exchange notifies any change in the index four weeks before such changes take effect.
There are defined eligibility criteria for selection of Nifty constituent stocks. The liquidity of a stock is measured by the market impact cost, which is essentially the cost involved in transacting a stock. For a stock to qualify for inclusion in the Nifty50, it must have traded at an average impact cost of 0.50 per cent or less for six months and for 90 per cent of observation cases.
Besides, the company must have a listing history of at least six months. However, a newly-listed company, which has just got listed through the IPO route, may become eligible for inclusion in the index, if it fulfils the normal eligibility criteria for a three- month period instead of six months.
Only those stocks which are eligible for trade in the F&O segment of NSE are considered for inclusion as Nifty constituents.
As of September 20, 2017, the Nifty had 35.73 per cent components from the financial services sector, 14 per cent from the energy sector, 11.46 per cent from the information technology sector, 10.64 per cent from the automobile sector and 10.13 per cent from the consumer goods sector. Six of the nine BFSI companies in the Nifty50 were private banks.
The Nifty index also has several variants such as Nifty Junior, Nifty50 USD, Nifty50 Total Returns index and NIFTY50 Dividend Points Index.