- FII flows, Fed minutes, Aramco IPO among key factors that will guide D-Street this week17-11-2019 04:20Initial public offer for Saudi Aramco opens for subscription on Nov 17 for institutional investors.
- D-Street week ahead: Nifty faces stiff resistance; auto, FMCG topping out; metals, PSU banks, realty look steady16-11-2019 11:25In the event of any corrective move, the trading range for the week is likely to remain wider.
- Sensex gains 70 pts, Nifty ends near 11,900; Airtel rallies 8%15-11-2019 12:42Market benchmark Sensex ended 70.21 points higher on Friday, led by gains in Bharti Airtel and SBI, amid positive cues from global equities. The 30-share index, which opened on a firm note, witnessed a sell-off at the fag end of the session as investors turned cautious tracking concerns over slowing economic growth. After rallying over 363 points during the day, the 30-share Sensex ended 70.21 points, or 0.17 per cent, higher at 40,356.69. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty rose 23.35 points, or 0.20 per cent, to end at 11,895.45. Bharti Airtel was the top gainer in the Sensex pack, rallying 8.42 per cent.Sensex gains 70 pts, Nifty ends near 11,900; Airtel rallies 8%
- After Market: Telecom stocks party, banks gain on IBC ruling; sell signal in 89 stocks15-11-2019 11:36Nifty Smallcap ebbed 0.19% to 5674 while Nifty Midcap climbed 0.32% to 16804.
- F&O: India VIX drops 3.96%, Nifty trading range shifts to 11,700-12,100 zone15-11-2019 11:09Bank Nifty opened positive and extended the gains towards 31,165 mark.
- Sensex ekes out small gains; Voda Idea, PSU bank stocks rally15-11-2019 10:44Financials and telecom major Bharti Airtel contributed the most to Sensex’s gains.
- Share market update: BSE Capital Goods index down; HEG dips 3%15-11-2019 06:13The S&P BSE Capital Goods index was trading 0.57 per cent down at 17,773.65 around 11:46 am.
- Top intraday trading ideas for afternoon trade on Friday, November 15, 201915-11-2019 05:55Rallis India is a 'Buy' call with a target price of Rs 192 and a stop loss of Rs 170.
- Share market update: BSE Oil & Gas index down; IOC, BPCL among top losers15-11-2019 05:21The S&P BSE Oil & Gas index was trading 0.17 per cent down at 15,144.73 around 10:55 am.
- Balkrishna Industries jumps 5% post Q2 results15-11-2019 05:17Revenue of the company declined 17 per cent YoY to Rs 1084.28 crore in Q2FY20.
The Sensex, also known as the sensitivity index, is the benchmark index of BSE Limited and is the most widely tracked equity gauge in India.
Officially known as the S&P BSE Sensex since February, 2013, the index captures the performance of the top 30 largest, most liquid and financially stable companies from across major sectors of the Indian economy that are listed on the exchange. It reflects the health of the equity market, investor sentiment and broadly the state of the economy.
The Sensex was launched on January 1, 1986, with the base value of 100 set on April 1, 1979. The credit for coining the term, Sensex, goes to Deepak Mohoni, a stock market analyst and IIT, Kanpur graduate and IIM, Calcutta alumnus.
As of September 20, 2017, the index was hovering above the 30,000 mark. It is the oldest index in the country, while the Bombay Stock Exchange, now called BSE Limited, is the oldest exchange in Asia.
The Sensex is managed and operated by a joint venture between BSE and S&P Dow Jones Indices, a global index manager. The composition of the Sensex is recast or modified from time to time to represent the true composition of the market.
Stocks in the eligible universe must satisfy the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for inclusion in the Sensex. First of all, the stocks must have a listing history of at least six months on BSE. An exception may be granted if the average float-adjusted market capitalisation of a newly-listed stock ranks in the top 10 of all stocks listed on BSE. In such a case, the minimum listing history required is one month.
The qualified stock has to trade on every trading day on BSE during the six-month reference period. Also, the eligible companies must have reported revenues for the preceding four quarters.
BSE on December 6, 2016 launched the S&P BSE Sensex50 index, which is designed to measure the performance of the 50 largest and most liquid companies within the S&P BSE100 index.
Investors, traders and anyone keen on the equity market can track Sensex quotes live on BSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and countless other websites and TV channels from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm on all weekdays. Financial markets in India remain closed on Saturday, Sunday and on select public holidays such as Independence Day, Holi, Republic Day, etc.
Sensex live graphs and figures are available on the BSE website. Besides Sensex live updates, one can also track real-time data of a slew of other indices such as BSE Midcap index, BSE100 index, various sectoral indices, top gainers, losers on the BSE webpage.
As of September 2017, the Sensex index had the following stocks as its constituents: Wipro, Coal India, HDFC, ITC, M&M, Tata Motors, Power Grid, Maruti, Kotak Bank, HDFC Bank, TCS, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, NTPC, Asian Paint, Sun Pharma, Dr Reddy's, HUL, Infosys, Bajaj Auto, Cipla, Axis Bank, Lupin, Adani Ports, SBI, Hero MotoCorp, ICICI Bank, Reliance Industries, L&T and Tata Steel.