- NSE-BSE bulk deals: Promoter increases stake in Harita Seating, 3 Sigma Fund sells27-01-2021 16:38In a separate transaction, Martin Grammer, a promoter entity of Harita Seating Systems, sold 14 per cent stake in the company through a bulk deal on the NSE.
- Ahead of Market: 12 things that will decide stock action on Thursday27-01-2021 15:48On the technical front, Shrikant Chouhan of Kotak Securities said, the Nifty50 has taken support at 13,950 level and it is possible that the index may give a healthy bounceback to 14,400-14,500 ahead of the Budget or the day of the Budget.
- Sebi imposes Rs 50 lakh penalty on 4 individuals27-01-2021 14:47An investigation was conducted by Sebi with respect to GDR (Global Depository Receipt) issuance by the company during November-December 2007.
- After 5% fall in 4 days, will Nifty stage a sharp rebound before Budget?27-01-2021 12:53“This decline of Nifty of around 800 points from the top ought to be seen as a healthy correction and an interim consolidation phase before the markets begin the next leg of movement,” said Pankaj Pandey, head of research at ICICI Direct.
- Market Movers: Banks, RIL help bears; some blue-chips give sell signal27-01-2021 11:57Concerns on the asset quality front continue to persist for many lenders despite recent signs of abating stress.
- Investors lose Rs 2.6 lakh crore in 6 hours as bears crush banking stocks27-01-2021 10:48Heavyweights RIL and financials were among the worst hit, as worries over Q3 underperformance put them under pressure.
- Sensex crashes 938 pts; Nifty ends below 14K ahead of F&O expiry; IndusInd Bank, Titan tank 4% each27-01-2021 10:26CLOSING BELL: RIL, private lenders send Sensex tumbling 938 pts; Nifty ends below 14K ahead of F&O expiry; IndusInd Bank, Titan tank 4% eachSensex crashes 938 pts; Nifty ends below 14K ahead of F&O expiry; IndusInd Bank, Titan tank 4% each
- Sensex tanks! But these stocks gained 10% or more27-01-2021 10:13The 30-share Sensex closed 937.66 points down at 47409.93 on Wednesday, while the 50-share Nifty index settled 271.4 points down at 13967.5.
- Sensex plunges! Stocks that fell 5% or more27-01-2021 10:07On the NSE, Fairchem Organics, Jiya Eco-Products, Jump Networks, Valiant Organics and Vishal Fabrics hit their fresh 52-week low.
- Sensex plunges over 1000 points, Nifty breaks below 14,000 mark27-01-2021 09:24The BSE Sensex and the Nifty lost further ground in the afternoon trade as selling intensified after European markets mostly opened lower. Traders say profit booking also emerged ahead of the presentation of Union Budget on February 1. The sell-off in the market was led by banks and Reliance Industries. As of 2:17 pm, the Sensex was down 985 points or 2.04% to trade at 47,379.31 while the 50-share Nifty was below the psychological level of 14,000, down 276 points or 1.96%.Sensex plunges over 1000 points, Nifty breaks below 14,000 mark
The Sensex, also known as the sensitivity index, is the benchmark index of BSE Limited and is the most widely tracked equity gauge in India.
Officially known as the S&P BSE Sensex since February, 2013, the index captures the performance of the top 30 largest, most liquid and financially stable companies from across major sectors of the Indian economy that are listed on the exchange. It reflects the health of the equity market, investor sentiment and broadly the state of the economy.
The Sensex was launched on January 1, 1986, with the base value of 100 set on April 1, 1979. The credit for coining the term, Sensex, goes to Deepak Mohoni, a stock market analyst and IIT, Kanpur graduate and IIM, Calcutta alumnus.
As of September 20, 2017, the index was hovering above the 30,000 mark. It is the oldest index in the country, while the Bombay Stock Exchange, now called BSE Limited, is the oldest exchange in Asia.
The Sensex is managed and operated by a joint venture between BSE and S&P Dow Jones Indices, a global index manager. The composition of the Sensex is recast or modified from time to time to represent the true composition of the market.
Stocks in the eligible universe must satisfy the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for inclusion in the Sensex. First of all, the stocks must have a listing history of at least six months on BSE. An exception may be granted if the average float-adjusted market capitalisation of a newly-listed stock ranks in the top 10 of all stocks listed on BSE. In such a case, the minimum listing history required is one month.
The qualified stock has to trade on every trading day on BSE during the six-month reference period. Also, the eligible companies must have reported revenues for the preceding four quarters.
BSE on December 6, 2016 launched the S&P BSE Sensex50 index, which is designed to measure the performance of the 50 largest and most liquid companies within the S&P BSE100 index.
Investors, traders and anyone keen on the equity market can track Sensex quotes live on BSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and countless other websites and TV channels from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm on all weekdays. Financial markets in India remain closed on Saturday, Sunday and on select public holidays such as Independence Day, Holi, Republic Day, etc.
Sensex live graphs and figures are available on the BSE website. Besides Sensex live updates, one can also track real-time data of a slew of other indices such as BSE Midcap index, BSE100 index, various sectoral indices, top gainers, losers on the BSE webpage.
As of September 2017, the Sensex index had the following stocks as its constituents: Wipro, Coal India, HDFC, ITC, M&M, Tata Motors, Power Grid, Maruti, Kotak Bank, HDFC Bank, TCS, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, NTPC, Asian Paint, Sun Pharma, Dr Reddy's, HUL, Infosys, Bajaj Auto, Cipla, Axis Bank, Lupin, Adani Ports, SBI, Hero MotoCorp, ICICI Bank, Reliance Industries, L&T and Tata Steel.