- Lupin gets warning letter from USFDA for Mandideep facility19-09-2019 05:53Shares of Lupin were trading 1.36 per cent lower at Rs 749.15 apiece on BSE.
- ZEEL falls 3% after Chandra barred from selling unpledged shares19-09-2019 05:37The stock was trading at Rs 325, down about Rs 10 on BSE.
- Voda Idea surges 16% as Trai mulls deferring zero IUC regime19-09-2019 05:22Bharti Airtel shares were also up 0.5 per cent at Rs 337.50, in a weaker broader market.
- Stock market update: Realty shares bearish; Sobha slumps 3%19-09-2019 05:13The Nifty Realty index was trading 1.45 per cent down at 255.65.
- Stock market update: Pharma shares slide; Piramal Enterprises tumbles over 2%19-09-2019 05:01The Nifty Pharma index was trading 1.18 per cent down at 7,830.1.
- Stock market update: IT shares slump; HCL Technologies dips 2%19-09-2019 04:51The Nifty IT index was trading 0.88 per cent down at 15,564.6.
- 'BUY' or 'SELL' ideas from experts for Thursday, 19 September, 201919-09-2019 04:51ET Now spoke to various experts and here's what they have to recommend for today's trade.
- Stock market update: Bank shares dip; IndusInd Bank drops 3%19-09-2019 04:42The Nifty Bank index was trading 1.14 per cent down at 26,861.9.
- Stock market update: Auto stocks mixed; Mahindra & Mahindra slides 1%19-09-2019 04:30The Nifty Auto index was trading 0.13 per cent down at 7,003.1.
- Stock market update: 32 stocks hit 52-week lows on NSE19-09-2019 04:27Among the stocks that touched their 52-week lows were Dalmia Bharat and PNB Housing Finance.
The Sensex, also known as the sensitivity index, is the benchmark index of BSE Limited and is the most widely tracked equity gauge in India.
Officially known as the S&P BSE Sensex since February, 2013, the index captures the performance of the top 30 largest, most liquid and financially stable companies from across major sectors of the Indian economy that are listed on the exchange. It reflects the health of the equity market, investor sentiment and broadly the state of the economy.
The Sensex was launched on January 1, 1986, with the base value of 100 set on April 1, 1979. The credit for coining the term, Sensex, goes to Deepak Mohoni, a stock market analyst and IIT, Kanpur graduate and IIM, Calcutta alumnus.
As of September 20, 2017, the index was hovering above the 30,000 mark. It is the oldest index in the country, while the Bombay Stock Exchange, now called BSE Limited, is the oldest exchange in Asia.
The Sensex is managed and operated by a joint venture between BSE and S&P Dow Jones Indices, a global index manager. The composition of the Sensex is recast or modified from time to time to represent the true composition of the market.
Stocks in the eligible universe must satisfy the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for inclusion in the Sensex. First of all, the stocks must have a listing history of at least six months on BSE. An exception may be granted if the average float-adjusted market capitalisation of a newly-listed stock ranks in the top 10 of all stocks listed on BSE. In such a case, the minimum listing history required is one month.
The qualified stock has to trade on every trading day on BSE during the six-month reference period. Also, the eligible companies must have reported revenues for the preceding four quarters.
BSE on December 6, 2016 launched the S&P BSE Sensex50 index, which is designed to measure the performance of the 50 largest and most liquid companies within the S&P BSE100 index.
Investors, traders and anyone keen on the equity market can track Sensex quotes live on BSEIndia.com, ETMarkets.com and countless other websites and TV channels from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm on all weekdays. Financial markets in India remain closed on Saturday, Sunday and on select public holidays such as Independence Day, Holi, Republic Day, etc.
Sensex live graphs and figures are available on the BSE website. Besides Sensex live updates, one can also track real-time data of a slew of other indices such as BSE Midcap index, BSE100 index, various sectoral indices, top gainers, losers on the BSE webpage.
As of September 2017, the Sensex index had the following stocks as its constituents: Wipro, Coal India, HDFC, ITC, M&M, Tata Motors, Power Grid, Maruti, Kotak Bank, HDFC Bank, TCS, ONGC, Bharti Airtel, NTPC, Asian Paint, Sun Pharma, Dr Reddy's, HUL, Infosys, Bajaj Auto, Cipla, Axis Bank, Lupin, Adani Ports, SBI, Hero MotoCorp, ICICI Bank, Reliance Industries, L&T and Tata Steel.