Maharashtra govt allows hotels to operate at 100% capacity from September 2, keeps bars shut

Following the MHA guidelines which removed the curbs on bars, Katriar had told ET he didn't expect the easing of restrictions in Maharashtra considering the continuing surge in cases.

BCCL
Following the MHA guidelines which removed the curbs on bars, Katriar had told ET he didn't expect the easing of restrictions in Maharashtra considering the continuing surge in cases.
The Maharashtra government allowed hotels to operate at 100% capacity from September 2 through new guidelines issued on Monday, but decided to keep bars shut. There is confusion in the industry on restaurant operations as they had previously figured in the negative list of prohibited activities but are not mentioned anymore in the new order.

Bars do not figure in the list of prohibited activities in the new MHA guidelines.

In its August 31 order called Mission Begin Again, the Department of Revenue and Forest, Disaster Management, Relief and Rehabilitation has said bars will remain prohibited across the state but hotels and lodges will be allowed to operate at 100% capacity. Separate standard operating procedures will be issued for operating these establishments, as per the order. Till now, hotels were allowed to operate at 33% capacity in Maharashtra.


"While increasing the capacity for hotels is a welcome move, bars stay shut. Restaurants were previously specifically mentioned in the negative list and are not mentioned anymore. So, according to us, restaurants are open. However, we will seek clarifications from the government at the earliest on Tuesday on the order," said Pradeep Shetty, vice president, Hotel and Restaurant Association of Western India (HRAWI).

But, Anurag Katriar, president, National Restaurant of India (NRAI) said he thinks the order means it is status quo for restaurants.

"Cases are substantial in the state. Currently, only takeaways and deliveries are allowed for restaurants. There is no mention of restaurants in the order so we think it is status quo for us," he added.
ADVERTISEMENT

Following the MHA guidelines which removed the curbs on bars, Katriar had told ET he didn't expect the easing of restrictions in Maharashtra considering the continuing surge in cases.

The state is also continuing with the prohibition on social, political, entertainment and religious functions and other large congregations across the state. MHA guidelines have allowed other social and entertainment functions with effect from September 21 with a ceiling of 100 with mandatory social distancing protocols.
Download
The Economic Times Business News App
for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.
Download
The Economic Times News App
for Quarterly Results, Latest News in ITR, Business, Share Market, Live Sensex News & More.
READ MORE
ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE:

LOGIN & CLAIM

50 TIMESPOINTS

More from our Partners

Loading next story
Text Size:AAA
Success
This article has been saved

*

+